Songkick is the great live music startup. Since 2007, we’ve set about making it as easy, fun and fair as possible for you to see your favorite artists live. Right now, more than 15 million music fans across the globe use Songkick to track their favorite artists, discover awesome concerts and never ever miss out.
With over 6 million event listings, we’re the biggest concert service on the planet. Across web, iPhone, Android, and through rich partnerships with Spotify, Pandora, Facebook and more, Songkick is the definitive and trusted home for live music online.
We’ve always put fans first. We’re a small, fast-moving team packed to the brim with digital expertise, committed to solving real problems for our users. Live music is for everyone, and we work hard to empower our community, add meaningful value and cut out the BS along the way.
We do our best work when we’re happy, respectful and relaxed. Our values and work ethic have got us far, and as we grow we’ll never shake that small startup feel. Earlier this year we became part of the Warner Music Group family, opening up epic new realms of opportunities to bring fans and artists closer together.
ABOUT THE ROLE
With so many fans, artists and partners trusting Songkick to make concerts easier for them, that means we have a lot of data. It’s pivotal to how Songkick operates: supporting our product development, and informing how we can improve the live music experience for everyone.
We’re looking to hire a Data Analyst to supercharge these efforts. Working across the company, your remit will be to do everything in your power to better inform us through insights.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working on a range of projects across the business from ad-hoc speculative exploration, monthly reporting, and more. You'll be applying your analytical skills to draw the key insights from complex datasets, building a shared understanding of the problem at hand.
- Working collaboratively to support the product team to be more data driven. Whether that's by understanding how fans interact with current features, helping design experiments to test new ones, or providing clear experiment results, you will be involved throughout our product process.
- Bringing together data from across the Songkick world, and transforming it to enable effective analysis. That'll mean using analytics tools like Mixpanel and Google Analytics, writing SQL to export data from our systems, and working some Excel magic.
- Whether by enabling automated reporting, constructing dashboards, or something else, determining how best to get the right insights to the right people will be super-important.
- Telling the story of Songkick to the world. You will help explain concert trends, discern fan tastes, and highlight the impact of our innovations.
- Helping craft how we do things better, too - championing data-centric problem solving with everyone you meet, and by working with our engineers to progress our data infrastructure, toolkit and processes
- 1-3+ years working in an analytical field, in business or academia.
- Know-how in Excel, or an equivalent.
- Practical experience using a statistical tool of choice to do analyses, whether it by R, SciPy, Pandas, IPython/Jupiter, MATLAB, or a similar tool.
- Intermediate statistical theory and practice.
- Proficiency with SQL and general familiarity with a BigQuery-like platform.
- Good working knowledge of a scripting language (Ruby’s our language of choice, Python features too - and we like others).
- Excellent communication skills - you’re able to distil a clear narrative from complex inputs.
- Very organised - there’s a lot to be done, lots of ideas and questions, and many people to work with day to day, so organisation is key.
- Knowing when enough is enough: you recognise that 80% of analysis’ value comes from the right 20% of the effort. You are pragmatic, and know there's always the opportunity to do another pass if needed.
- Start-up experience a plus.
- Experience delivering social, music, or consumer products a plus. Whether you’ve had experience running A/B tests on a checkout flow, or learned what’s meaningful from the core metrics of a website, this context is highly valued.
- Experience working with engineers, product managers, designers, and in cross-functional product teams. A fan of Agile working? All plusses.
- Data warehousing - you’ve been involved in building out the underlying data infrastructure, know what the gotchas are, and have seen firsthand the impact that doing this right (or wrong) can have.
- Data visualisation - you’ve collated a series of insights and enabled the telling of a great story publicly, crafting effective visualisations to enable broader consumption.
- Advanced statistical theory and practice.
- A bent for economic thinking and the associated modelling.